- Learn about your disease and treatment options.
- Make informed decisions.
- Be your own advocate.
- The mind is powerful, think positively.
- Let go of things you can’t control, and focus on those you can.
- Share your challenges with others.
- Ask for help.
- Accept support.
- Celebrate the milestones.
- Get involved.
- Believe in the power of one-to-one.
Jane Hathaway’s recent journey with breast cancer deepened her commitment to living life well. Becoming an ABCD mentor is giving her the opportunity to act upon that commitment and to help others face their disease with support.
It was 2005 when Jane found a lump in her breast. When the results from that mammogram came back normal, Jane really wanted to believe the good news, but knew better. She sought another opinion. This time the diagnosis was breast cancer and it was aggressive.
Because Jane’s treatments were so varied, she was matched with three different ABCD mentors. Her personal interactions were valuable because she could ask the hard questions and get the real answers.
Jane was eager to give back to ABCD both with gratitude and lessons learned. She attended the mentor training program in October 2007 and has since been matched with several women. She discovered that one of her participants, Gail, owned her own communications firm, and encouraged her to share her skills with ABCD. Gail explored opportunities and has now become a trainer for the Green Bay ABCD Mentor Program and is planning to become a mentor herself. ABCD is so very grateful for these women who reach out and touch the lives of others.
- A local breast cancer surgeon that will present what’s new in breast cancer treatment.
- Information on how to recognize and deal with depression, and how to take care of yourself during the mentor process.
- Opportunities to learn and practice effective communications skills.
- Experienced ABCD mentors offer tips and guidance based on real mentoring experience.
- Understand the legal and ethical issues involved with being an ABCD volunteer mentor.
Our next 3-day program will be held on April 10, 17 & 24
8:45 am – 12:45pm at Summit Place in West Allis
Make-up sessions can be provided if you can attend two of the three sessions.
A free continental breakfast is provided.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BECOMING AN ABCD MENTOR, PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE at 414.977.1780 or 800-471-0322. Advance registration is required.