Become an ABCD Mentor
Provide One-to-One Support to People Coping with Breast Cancer Now
If you have compassionate listening skills that cause people turn to them for support…
If you believe that speaking with someone who has already experienced breast cancer – as a patient or as a patient’s loved one can help relieve stress or be a source of vital information…
Then, please consider joining us for our New Mentor Training programs.
October 22nd and 29th at the DeKoven Center, Racine
November 5th and November 12th at ABCD’s Summit Place, West Allis
Each two-day format begins in the morning through early afternoon and includes free breakfast and lunch. Full attendance is encouraged, although some make-up classes are possible.
ABCD New Mentor Training, open to all breast cancer survivors and co-survivors, provides new mentors with the knowledge and skills needed to offer support to newly diagnosed breast cancer patients, and their families and friends, in one-to-one customized mentoring matches.
• Updates from a breast cancer physician on what’s new in breast cancer treatment.
• Information on how to recognize depression and other common issues confronting those affected by breast cancer – and how to encourage them to seek help.
• Guidance on the legal and ethical issues involved with being an ABCD mentor.
• Opportunities to learn and practice effective communications skills.
• Tips and guidance based on real experience from established ABCD mentors.
• Tools on how to take care of yourself during the mentor process.
Anyone who has experienced breast cancer as patient, family or friend is welcome to train as an ABCD mentor. Previous contact with ABCD is not necessary.
Please note: generally, being one year from diagnosis is advisable before training as a mentor. However, if you are not yet one year from diagnosis and are interested in being part of ABCD, we encourage you to call us to discuss the situation in more detail. Our next new mentor training sessions will be in 2012.
Advance registration is required.
For more information about becoming a mentor, or to register for a training program, please contact us by telephone or email: (414) 918-9222 • (800) 977-4121 • email@example.com